4.26.2013

Spotlight on Ladybird


Today we showcase the mastermind behind the floral designs Colorado brides have come to seek out and subsequently adore -the lovely Sarah Tedford! 


A bit about me:
I'm one of those rare Colorado natives (hailing from Castle Rock). My mom and dad still live there. I'm very close with my family - I have two brothers and a sister; and our family is rapidly expanding! I love being an aunt to my sister's kids and can't wait for the addition of my brother's son this year. 


How I got started:
I've been in the floral design industry for 14 years. When I was 15 I landed a job at Castle Pines Flower Shop and Greenhouse. Over time I developed great relationships with the owners and designers; they gradually entrusted me with more design work and I started to realize "I love this!"

I've worked at 6 other floral shops since Castle Pines- from high end retail to high end hotel establishments (i.e. the Brown Palace and the Inverness Hotel). In 2009 I was laid off at the Inverness and I began submitting applications to a handful of local florists. While I was unemployed I really felt like I was just supposed to start my own business. I bounced the idea off of friends and family and before I knew it - all of the pieces were in place. Friends designed my logo and website and I got my LLC in a cinch. In February of 2009 Ladybird Poppy was officially "launched" with not a single client scheduled for the year. By the end of 2009 I'd designed for over 30 events and I thought, "This is what I'm supposed to do.



What I love most about floral design:
Designing is therapeutic for me. I think I've always known that. It wasn't until I underwent spinal surgery last year that I realized just how life-giving design is for me. It seriously helped me get through one of the toughest seasons I've ever experienced. I absolutely adore building relationships with vendors and clients- hearing their stories, interacting with them, and getting to offer something full of life and beauty - presenting my designs to clients is always a highlight for me! 


Likes
coffee. walks. dinner parties. the changing of seasons. gardening. travel. and love me a good happy hour!



What I'm listening to currently: 
Belle and Sebastian. NPR. 1340 am. and the occasional Justin Timberlake, (yep, that's right).  



Words of wisdom for inspiring designers:
Get experience from various designers, check out lots of styles of design. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Risk. Think outside of the box. Follow your heart in the way you want to design. Dive in 100%. 




  Photos by Emily Elizabeth - Our lovely photography partner


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ladybird Poppy